Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Msg #6: Are We At 4 out of 12 Yet?

Useful Links

Challenge Song

The challenge song was recently distributed: Vict'ry Road (video), a rousing Gospel tune.  (You don't have to be religious to want to sing THIS one.)   If you haven't gotten your music, or you want to sign up for the challenge song, email Joe Dempsey.  I'll be ready on bass - will you sing it with me?

It's Almost June, How Is Your Progress?

We tend to try and prepare 4 songs a month, so with June almost here you should be close to prepared for the first four songs - Nora, Blackbird, Bare Necessities and Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring.

June should bring us I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Go The Distance, Come Fly With Me, It Is Well With My Soul.

Few of us will be word and note perfect already.  BUT: we should be close, and that brings us to the next topic...

Run Through Attendance And Etiquette

If you can possibly get to run-through practices, you should go to as many as you can. There is no better way to come prepared for the rally, and to help others be prepared.  (Plus: we love to sing, right?  Right.)

A few points of etiquette to help the process go better:
  • RSVP to the organizer as early as you can.
  • Bring your book and a pencil for corrections.
  • Swap books with others, and make notes to help each other.
  • Encourage, don't discourage.  Feel encouraged, not discouraged.
Before you sing a song at a run-through, put the time in at home.  It really helps the run-through to be prepared.  You are not expected to be word and note perfect, but your quartet should be able to complete the song successfully (if absolutely necessary, with paper...)  Yes: I have been in situations where someone says "let's sing X" and I answer "I'm not really ready" - and we sang it anyway.  But most of the time you want your answer to be "Sure, let's sing X".

Go The Distance

This is a made-for-Disney song, written for the title character Hercules in the 1997 film.  As our book’s notes mention, this song almost made the cut for an NEHB rally a few years back and became the challenge song.  But it was so popular, the music team put it in the rally this year. (The tag for this version is slightly different.)


There are three versions of the lyrics.  The lyrics within the movie are different from the version sung during the movie credits (performed by Michael Bolton).  The movie lyrics are about Hercules, a young man who feels as if he doesn’t belong - and once his parents reveal to him that, he was adopted, Hercules goes on an journey of discovery to find himself.  The Bolton version is much more of a love song - the singer is singing that he would go anywhere to be “in your arms”.

The barbershop lyrics are closer to the Bolton version. Different in many minor particulars, but the third verse of the barbershop version is a radical departure from both originals.

Disney Original
I am on my way, I can go the distance I don't care how far, somehow I'll be strong I know every mile will be worth my while I would go most anywhere to find where I belong.

Bolton Original:
And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope, but I won't lose hope,
'Till I go the distance and my journey is complete.

Barbershop:
I will beat the odds and maybe I will go the distance.
I will face the world and I’ll be fearless, proud and strong.
I will please my God, I can go the distance.
[tag]

This gives the barbershop version a potential religious feeling, as opposed to either the wanderjahr or love song.

In every case, it’s a superbly singable song. Whatever meaning you find, fill it with feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment